Immigration and visas

Most overseas trained doctors and Foreign Graduates of an Accredited Medical School need a visa to practice in Australia.

General practitioners, specialists and hospital non-specialists can apply for a visa if:

    • you got your primary medical qualification in a country other than Australia
    • or you got your medical qualifications in Australia but you’re not an Australian permanent resident.
You will find detailed information on the types of visa available to doctors on the Department of Home Affairs website. Here are some examples:

Visas for General Practitioners

Temporary visas

Permanent visas