A description of the most common forms, with appropriate links

Immigration sponsorship forms

If an employer wishes to sponsor an overseas trained doctor they need to apply to the Department of Home Affairs for approval using a sponsorship form.

The Department of Home Affairs recommends that sponsors and overseas trained doctors initiate as many of the immigration processes as possible, simultaneously. The sponsorship and visa applications forms can be lodged at the same time, as soon as the employer has selected a suitable candidate.

Visa application form

The Department of Home Affairs provides a useful visa document checklist of the visa application process.

There are several documents that an overseas trained doctor needs to attach to their visa application.

Immigration health check forms

Overseas trained doctors need to have a health check for immigration purposes. To organise a health check, the doctor needs to fill in the health check forms and make an appointment with an approved doctor. The check will include a medical and radiological examination and tests for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C. The visa applicant will also be advised what checks are required for family members included in their visa application.

The results of this health check are sent directly from the doctor who performs the check to the Department of Home Affairs.

Immigration police check forms

As part of the visa application process, the Department of Home Affairs requires a statement from the police authority, of each country that an overseas trained doctor has lived in for more than 12 months over the past 10 years.

If the doctor is already in Australia and either has not had a police or penal check before or, it is over 12 months since their last Australian visa was obtained, they will also have to obtain a clearance from the Australian police in the State or Territory where they are living. A Police check --- Consent to obtain personal information form is available for download from the Department of Home Affairs website.

Medical registration

The Medical Board of Australia (MBA) is responsible for registering medical practitioners in Australia. The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) supports the work of the MBA.

OTDs (referred to as international medical graduates by the Medical Board of Australia) should visit the MBA website for information relating to registration in Australia.

Medicare provider number form

If the overseas trained doctor (OTD) will be treating private patients or working in general practice, they will need to apply for a Medicare provider number once the appropriate Australian visa has been granted. This is not required for doctors who will be working exclusively in a public hospital and treating public patients. To apply for a Medicare provider number, the OTD needs to complete the Application for a Medicare Provider Number form on Medicare Australia's website.

Specialist recognition form

Overseas trained specialists who wish to provide medical services that qualify for Medicare rebates at the higher specialist or consultant physician level, need to obtain recognition as a specialist from Medicare Australia for Medicare billing purposes. Temporary and permanent resident overseas trained specialists are treated slightly different under these arrangements and details of application processes for recognition as a specialist for Medicare billing purposes can be found on Medicare Australia's website.

Australian Medical Council (AMC) forms

The AMC administers the national examinations for OTDs, via the standard pathway, who are seeking to practise medicine in Australia. More information on AMC forms is available on the AMC website.

The AMC provides a practice test for the Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) examination, which is accessible online.